The Mothers’ Union is a worldwide Anglican organization whose purpose is to be concerned with all aspects of Christian family life.
The Mothers’ Union was founded in 1876 by Mary Summer. When her first child was born she was overwhelmed by what she saw as the awesome responsibility of parents, not only in caring for their children’s physical well-being, but also for their spiritual nurture and growth.
As a Voluntary Organisation, the Mothers Union offers friendship care and unconditional love to thousands of women and their families throughout the world. It is a lifeline for many families. It is a praying, teaching and caring society.
As one Bishop said “A church without Mothers Union is not is not alive
Our Aims & Objectives
The aim is the advancement of Christian religion in the sphere of marriage and family life. In order to carry this out, there are five objectives.
1. To hold Christ’s teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding. M.U hold conferences and training sessions, including marriage preparation, and also hold retreats to develop spiritual support and development to all.
2. To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and love of the church. In many ways the members give practical support to young families both within the church and the wider community e.g. running nursery schools, counseling and visitations.
3. To maintain a wide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service. Members not only give generously to the less fortunate, they are also involved in projects in the church and outside the church and also pray daily through a wave of prayer for fellow members around the world.
4. To promote conditions in the society favorable to stable family life and the protection of the children. Any issues affecting the family are discussed and comments passed to the provost and church parish for guidance.
5. To help those whose family life has met with adversity. M.U is involved in offering practical support e.g. visiting prisoners, raising money for widows and children amongst us , counseling and the HIV and AIDS affected amongst us and spending together to build one another